28 d’octubre 2009

pros and cons of single traveller-ettes

A certain person I spent a whole bunch of years with used to call me all the time "Einzelgaenger". I think I am quite far from it.
Traveling alone is just the consequence of not always finding available travel buddies, in my modest opinion.
I can adapt to anyone, but I tend to be the Einzelgaenger when traveling in groups. But just for moments a day, when I need to get lost for a bit. I carry that since childhood, ask my monitors in the Esplai or otherwise or my friends at university (Motto: wo ist Selva/die Katze).

Traveling in 2 has proven great as the margin of negotiation brings always 50% chance to reach consense.
I enjoy traveling. Chilled to enjoy moments, scenes or sights I consider enriching.

The pros of traveling alone have allowed me to change plans constantly and set off to an Amanda Palmer concert out of the blue and change my itinerary anti clockwise.

Writings on the train. I always like writing in motion. I shared compartment with Vietnamese. They opened up a newspaper wrap and shared a chicken. The woman with the child was like a talking machine, she started yapping with the controller and didn't stop to take a breath even when chewing.



The sound of her talking and her accent was very soothing and I felt asleep for 14 hours in a row. When she stopped talking I suddenly woke up and needed a cigarette break.
Longest-ever. I shared space with a Vietnamese guy. We exchange cigarettes unsaid. Then our conversation was driven by the power of math due to the language barrier. His packet cost 30.000, he was 50, was married for over 15 years and had 2 children. Then I left because he began to get touchy (as a friend calls it: the international language of love ???)

So far for a day's reflection. I am going on a crazy 3 day coast tour with Amanda in my thoughts.
Had a little tour in Hai Long. The light was amazing and could not capture it with the camera.





Hanoi was welcoming, but I see what I didn't miss. I think it was holding back for me to show me a one year stay wouldn't have been the best idea, although I would kinda yap Vietnamese nowadays... The city got me on jet lag and alcohol abuse. But I must admit the people who surrounded me these days were first class. No words left to express gratitude. They really made a difference, I tend to be really slow the first days and that was the little push needed to start off. I hope I can pay it back some day. It's a small world after all and it proves we keep seeing each other!