24 de febrer 2007

QUIRKS

I'm trying to collect my quirks, those things that make me "special", since I think everyone has some, and it is funny to see how people develop the most peculiar ones, out of experiences or innherent habits. When I get to know people it is a fascinating subject I like to find out about. You know someone well when you are aware of their quirks... And of course I am no exception.

I have a cup. See my cup.



I bought this cup in Sydney, a city where I wish I could live happily ever after (and not here in the cold). Back then I was living with 7 guys and I was the only girl in the flat, I called it an adult and down under version of Snowhite and the seven dwarfs. The guys all had physical jobs, whereas I was the soft ass little princess who was on an exchange program of Pompoi Harvard and taking care of children to earn some money and travel up the coast. I gave up the cleaning in Vicar St 21 Flat#1 after 2 weeks living together and learnt to get used to the crispy sound of stepping on cockroaches instead.

My mug was purchased in Randwick, NSW, in a dollar shop.
It found me, it was love at first sight, but I forgot it in the flat in Vicar St. upon my departure. That's why I came back to Sydney 6 months later to pick it up.
It was slightly damaged but still there. I could consider it a luck cup, since thanks to it, one of the Vicar St tennants recognized me at a party, and due to it I hung around at the party and so I got to meet ... *sigh* ... nevermind. What's past is past.

My cup has a sister, and both no name. That's because I saw another version of the cup during 3rd visit to Australia, in the same shop :



now I use it more than the older one. You can tell by the many stains. Proof that I don't tend to wash it much...

So his would be then make my first quirk
Nr#1

I always have to drink coffee from the same cup. From my cup, or when visiting, always the same one. I don't like anyone else use mine and I hardly ever wash it, I also don't like anyone else to wash it up it for me. It's one of the first things people learn when they move in with me and the first apology I make for sounding a bit weird. Otherwise I'm ok to live with... Hope all my ex-flatmates read this some day and deliver proof <..> eeo?!!

QUIRK NR 2
I never wear a watch. I once lost one and learned how to live without. I'm better
at guessing the temperature than the time, but strange enough I haven't had the need
of a watch for over 14 years.



2.1 --> I will put it all together because this adds up to my aversion against
devices.

I don't have a TV, I haven't had one since 1996. Same thing as the watch, I
one day didn't have one and got used to it. I only watch TV as a guest and even
so, I don't get a good feeling after watching. Tell me about series,
advertisements... I have little idea. But I really don't mind. I don't know if
this makes me an anti-TV person, I don't think so, but I don't feel too
confortable when I'm visiting and that thing is always on. Amazing how our
habits change... I can browse the biggest junk on the internet, tho so I guess it
compensates for the TV thing.

2.2 -->

I HATE telephones. I don't know when or why it happened. Because I like to talk to
people since I tend to spend probably 10x the time of a phone call paying a visit
and probably 4x the monthly amount of a phone bill to get there and back (bear in
mind many friends live abroad) and I still prefer it. Although I don't mind
chatting or even talking over the PC. It is the carrying a device that might
interrupt me what disconforts me. And the fact that people call for the stupidest
reasons. The worst case is if they want to give me directions or try to start a
conversation when I'm calling for a question-answer thing, I am so concentrated in
hanging up I can't process information. A headset would make me feel funny and I'm
probably one of the few persons who runs when the mobile rings in public to hide on
a corner.

My desire to comunicate avoiding phones as much as possible was one of the reasons I thought it would be a good idea to post stuff. To communicate through other means, since I can't write always everyone and a mailing is sometimes not best welcome... I think about lots of persons at different times of the day, or at the same time. It is hard to be everywhere...

I want to apologise as well if anyone finds it hard to reach me. I sometimes leave the mobile home if I know I don't have to be reachable. I don't have a land line, because once I had so much trouble with the telephone company and old bills of flatmates I let them cut the line, and I didn't reactivate it. My father gave me an old mobile (zapatófono) which in fact was better, since you can take it with you in case you need it.
I use the phone if necessary, not to chat. I don't understand why people like publically shout around their bullshit whilst talking on the mobile, as if we cared.

By the way, I don't listen much to the mailbox. If you want to reach me WRITE me on the mobile. Then you will be sure I receive the news, I keep them, and I respond.

I have more, like hating umbrellas and being pulled into one when it rains, but I think that is enough to be processed for a while. I didn't want to turn this into an ode to my quirks. I do admit the device fobia makes me somehow old fashioned, but hey! What about computers? I couldn't live without one. And it still surprises me when I learn that some people have no internet and can get away without it.

By the way, another quirk is that I find it so difficult to ask for help...
Stupid me, I want to think people read my mind. Still fitting in the "einzelgänger" profile, and though, I could never have enough of being sorrounded by people, friends, specially under the same roof. Learn their stories, share moments... (ja m'estic posant hippie un altre cop...)

Enough from now. I will be happy to learn more about your quirks.

Kisses to all and thanks for the e-mails. It really makes me happy and in moments of loneliness, less lonely to hear from you...

5 comentaris:

Anònim ha dit...

OK, just some random thoughts of my own...
I alphabetise (colour code and provide all languages and subtitles available) in my DVDs and CD Excel file whereas my books are in order of height
I organise my long sleeve shirts and sweaters in order of colour of the rainbow *ROYGBIV*
I am a bit of a clean freak (so sort of the opposite of you with your mug)
Think the same about mobile phones (they are especially bad for this in ITALY!!) and could not live without Internet either
I also used to live without television--for almost 3 years, actually and LOVED it!! Never had so much time in my life to do other more important things like run and rollerblade.
I use a German keyboard and Austrian regional settings on ALL my PCs (including the one at work). If the truth be told I'd much rather speak German or Italian every day even though I am a native English speaker born and raised in an English environment. My way of seeing it is that I spent 20+ years growing up in English, time to switch.
Having said that I speak Italian to my cat (and he talks back in Italian of course)
For fear of scaring off your fellow readers I think I'll stop there. :)))

Cheers, Micha (the Canadian trapped in a German body)

Anònim ha dit...
Un administrador del blog ha eliminat aquest comentari.
Anònim ha dit...

Selvi, my dear Selvi and her "special" habits... I have another one for you guys: Selva hates beeing served at dinner (or lunch, breakfast, snacks...) Selva hates having someone else decide on what she should eat and most importatly how much she should eat... This quirk of yours seams to clash with one of my quirks - or more accurately - with one of the quirks I inherited from my food-posessed mediterranean mother - which is feeding everything that brethes around you! But hey... Having recognised eachothers quirks somehow... brings us closer :-) Great blog Selvi! Happy writings and hope to see you soon! Love ya, Carolina

Selveta ha dit...

No way, Carol!
Es war in meiner originelle Fassung, dann habe ich den Tick entfernt, weil ich dachte es wäre zu viel auf einmal... Du hast es fast genau beschrieben wie ich es geschrieben habe... Suspicious... Ich glaube wir kennen uns schon 'ne Weile.Ah, und eins von dir... Carol kann kein Mais essen aus 'skatologischen' Gründen. Ich finde es amüsant.

Anònim ha dit...

Vaya, la taza del gato...Todavía me acuerdo de cuando fregué la anterior taza del gato, también australiana, por equivocación, menuda bronca!!! Y yo qué conyo sabía? Bueno, mi taza de cerámica se rompió hace un anyo, poco antes del último examen oral. Fue una senyal, a modo de: tu etapa de Rhein Neckar terminó. Ahora tengo una taza roja, también de cerámica, pero esta vez de Níjar y no de Cáceres. Y Florian conserva la mega taza que le compré en el Nanu Nana de la estación de Mannheim, y que usó en Londres. Él es más cuidadoso que yo? No way! Simplemente, bebe menos café. Molts petons i fins demà. Yoyo