04 de febrer 2007

did not go out

And I am in my favorite position in front of the computer and wondering what buzz can I get. No beer in the fridge and white wine which might be of help in case of visits... Just in case. Today by the way, even though I had to invest some good 1:20 minutes biking I had a splendid breakfast with A. It was nice sitting in MY sun with MY coffee and in MY park with MY dog (he knows what I'm talking about, he??), it was nice having a bit of time with you.
I was going through last conversations with yoyete and puiti and remember you asked me for a-fo-tos of my new place. Although I'd rather have you over take a look... Will post them soon, or else in a separate site, although I still don't use it and don't even know how.

And so today a chain has saved me of getting in trouble with justice. I always do if it involves ownerless bikes. I can't help it. It would be the 3rd time. On time #2 I almost get a file at work (Amis...).
I have a bike-parts obsession since grey fucked up. I love that bike. It stills sits there in front of my old flat waiting for the piece to arrive. I've been collecting wheels from bins, but always too small, different system or too bent as well. I like looking for wracked bikes. Because there is always a piece needing to be changed that involves otherwise having to ask for an appointment in the local garage (NL, halt) for overexpensive repairs that you can otherwise do if you have the right pieces. When I first came in NL I had 3 bikes stolen in my 3 first months. It is like a generalized practice here. Unless you buy a chain heavier and more expensive than the bike itself you are always damned not to find it back where you park it. After the 3rd loss I started getting upset and kinda asumed that that's the way it goes. I didn't know destiny had planned a trick on me and put me a bike in the middle of a green square, unlocked and pretty like a holy temptation. Very pretty painted in grey spots. So one morning after seeing it unattended for 6 days in a row I decided it had been abandoned and I took it. The ring lock was hanging, but so what? I could still roll it on the front wheel. It was a weekday at 7:40 and on a well crowded train station, but I figured that would make it less obvious, it can happen to anyone after all. Almost on my way to the platforms 4 policemen and a policewoman stopped me and asked me if it was my bike.
I replied:
-yeeeeees
- so where is the lock?
As I am so good at lying I had to let it out. I don't know for what stupid reason I think people appreciate my honesty. I explained in my best Dutch that I found it abandoned and figure out somebody dropped it in the middle of the square. I mean, who leaves a bike laying on the grass in the middle of a square?
They were not too happy with my answer and kept me retained for my very shame:
- do you do this often?
- only on peak hours, I wanted to say. But I just said: come on! get real. Besides, I
had my bike stolen and I needed one... As if it would justify me.

I have no records, which helped, but I don't know how I made it to get out of that. They were really thinking about what to do with me, but since it was obvious I wasn't aware of the ruthless police pitynessless, they were not ready for it and let me go after I handed over the bike.
One of the policemen dared saying: "very nice bike, after all!"... Unfortunately for me I often need not speak to let my facial expressions tell you what I'm thinking. I think he got it.
Anyway. #1 sorted
Number 2. Even more ridiculous. Do you remember Freud? The part in psycoanalysis where he talks about sublimating? Like people with some complex or frustration will try to get a job that allows them have an authoritary position to sublimate frustrations through a violent or autoritary behaviour? Sorry for not born-to-become policemen or security guards, but some really fall in the category.
KinderEgg did. And how. He was friends with CroccantiFace and if you'd see them together you would notice there would be a long silence when you walk past them. They were mentally scanning you. Oh yes.
So that night a colleague had brought me back a bike I had lent him with a flat wheel, and as (too)many people I know whom I lent bikes do that get broken "somehow" he just dropped it in the stall and told me it was flat. I don't use it much, but when my grey bike, my big frustration and obsession had the front axe spinning in a way it made it wackle like jelly I thought I could go fix the guest one and take the other one to be repaired while I had a spare one. Long story short, while trying to swap the wheel in the stall I broke the hose. And while trying to swap the wheel of the guest bike with the wheel of the grey one I also fucked the grey one's one. The whole process took me more than 30 minutes due to lack of tools and KinderEgg was already vigilant on the other side. He then walk back away from the window to do his stuff and meanwhile I had the greatest idea! There was an abandoned bike in the stall. That one was definetely abandoned because as the police said, if it's not locked you can take it. So, since it had the same diametre and axe I was looking for, I thought I could swap axes and get my grey bike fixed on the spot!
But as I was concentrated in the procedure KinderEgg in his most guardian characterisation and provided with a big lamp came not to help me, but to find something suspicious.
I had to tell him the whole story and honestly (again) tell him: yep, guest mine, grey mine, abandoned not mine.
Guess what he said... Aha! and I replied: but it's been rotting here for ages! But of course it had belonged to someone before and what if the owner wants it back? (judging by the state it is in, he or she would probably rather ride a pink donkey, but nevermind). It had been used as a can container and cigarette disposal bin, you have to see it.
But he said it was theft and I said I would just not proceed with my idea and leave it like that. I apologized and told him that I thought they would understand I had to go back home somehow and with a bike in one piece. And that despair took me to have a stupid idea I considered pretty reasonable due to my situation.
The following day and despite my apologies he reported me to higher security. I had to visit the boss, explain, apologise and, just in case, I asked him if I could ask around in a mass mail about the possible owner of bike 'abandoned' in case the owner, if any, could give me the bike or sell me the piece I needed.
I had to apologise to my manager the very day I was getting my contract: "here your contract, congratulations, what the hell have you done this time???" "You are lucky you got it today, otherwise we would have just not renewed it and let you go". Lucky strike, I thought. Or not. My punishment was to be condemned to serve a multinational concern based in a facist governed country. Ha! who's laughing now?
So I was about to face #3 today in a mixture of adrenaline and nostalgy. This one has been given the official "abandoned" flag. But knowing how greedy Dutch can be it might mean "now it will belong the police". And it has that axe I need and the same system. And, today, one day away from discussing my new contract for my new position with my manager, providence left an abandoned bike with that front wheel axe that would fit 'grey'. But chained to a pole in the front wheel. Just for the records a police car passed by me shortly after I gave up the idea due to the previously unnoticed chain.
Dejà vu. With a different end. Now, some wine!