10 d’agost 2012

so you think you are special?

Made it to the airport. I was 1 whole hour ahead of the expected  departure time, 40 minutes  before boarding in and the check in counters were already closed.

I forgot my boarding pass home, so I knew I was going to get in trouble. And I did. I am sure if I'd been panicking they would have made it harder to me. But I was Zen. I'm supposed to stay at a friend's in KL, hadn't heard from her. I was late to request a Visa to India so a few ladies in heaps of make up telling me that I might not make it didn't sound surprising to me. They wanted proof that I had an outward ticket from Malaysia. Travelling loses its mojo when you can't say anymore: "I don't know where I am going to stay and I don't know how long I'll be there". Life is not that predictable, so isn't travelling! I had the Aussie border police put me aside questioning why I am not in NZ using my working Visa. I told them about my love affair with Sydney.
 


The flight was hypnotic, the picture above is a lonely island that looks like an eye, off the Australian North-West Coast. Such a caprice of nature in the middle of nowhere!
I had never been so sleepy on a plane. I had the chance to exchange some words with my single-serving plane mates (extracted from the Flight Club, I loved that reflection) and I must say to Ben, best of lucks in your new stage of life. Brave of you that you decided to go where your heart leads you.
I arrived effortless to my assigned hostel after a smooth bus and metro ride. Great metropolitan system, KL! Met my hostel mates briefly and went out with them for food and booze. Funny, as I walked in the hostel, all guests gathered in front of the TV the spontaneous greeting I came up with was: hi flatties!
I must miss mine already :-(

32 Degrees and the  back pains start fading away. I belong in the hot weather. Cold humidity is no good.

And today... So you think you are special?
I went to apply for an Indian Visa, as I had no time while in Sydney. Note that I am a Spanish citizen with residence in The Netherlands, who has a work permit in New Zealand but lives in Australia.
The only thing I can say is that they took me to a separate room with flowers and a sofa, I didn't have to queue a bit, gave me a coffee and were extremely patient in trying to understand why I wouldn't apply a Visa from my country of residence or citizenship. I felt absolutely awkward to be the only guest in their Premium lounge.
Jess the frantically running assistant lady was gold. And patient. And made up fantastic imaginary addresses and phone numbers for my Indian accommodation. She understood I only knew I was going to visit Amma's Ashram, that I had a Malay phone number I didn't know, that I had all information online and that I have a dumb phone...

I will know if India wants me next week. In the meantime I am about to meet my Chinese Malay friend... Love reunions!