15 de juny 2014

shifting attention

Delay a hot issue one week and interest shifts from the new king of Spain to the World Cup. Oh, Spain, bless that football bliss that makes you feel strong and proud... Woops, and now your team does't seem to show much hope. Time to look inside and go back to those many things that need to be done. 
People in Spain are talking about their right to decide a republic when, a few years ago, when they had their right to decide on a new government, an enourmous majority chose those who helped bring back the monarchy back in the fascist times. Sweet irony, also when a region is also facing that government, asking for their right to choose. That government has managed to bring the country closest to dictatorship than ever, disguised in investment, real state and banking. People still think that the guys with ties are the reliable ones. Or with crowns, for the matter... 

I live in Australia now, and I feel politically sorry for them and directly affected by their policies (as a second-class resident). 
I've experienced the conservative win both in OZ and NZ. Always surrounded by people who felt sorry for that as well, whose ideas represent what I call "a conscious and responsible citizen", and yet, we are minority...
When I lived in Barcelona, still officially part of Spain I always felt like I was married to a country for their convenience, but at least, there, I had a voice. In Australia I support a certain view but I have no voice. Hence, I defend and let my voice be heard for what I feel closest to and feel it belongs to me as much as any other Aussie: Mother Nature, the environment, Australia's unique and delicate diversity. There alone is a lot to do. A lot to educate. A lot of old patterns of thought  need changing, those patterns help damage the soil, the air and that thing so many people love talking about so much: the economy. 
Economy has an etymological root of keeping households. Gnomos in Greek is knowledge-study
Ecology, however, points to the interrelations between species. Logos in Greek is the logic, the practical approach.
My logos: We are energy and we live from energy, too. As humans we need food, electricity, fuel and other sources of energy in order to be strong, work more efficiently, travel from A to B. Our sources of energy come from the Earth and from space (the sun, the air...). We plant seeds (oh, no, here we go again) in the dirt and they come from the darkness into the light to keep us alive. 
However, there are certain forms of energy that come solely from the darkness, from the insides of the Earth. The only picture alone of extracting from Earth´s insides already feels not quite as right. It feels like robbing from her, changing its (her) structure when there is so much available in the surface. 
It might be a silly metaphor but it shows me that we should have evolved enough to know better.  In Plato's terms, we are still in the dark caves, looking for the light. 
And I don't advocate change for the future generations alone. I do also for the improvements in society, the economy and for the end of alienating jobs that make some people have to go into the deep darkness, risking ther health and sometimes their lives. I do it for our right to evolve.
Those corporations are using us to get richer. And you vote them back. 

I know I have no voting voice but if only I could let that majority see... In the meantime I always repeat myself by asking people to change their habits slowly. Bike or walk to work, change your bank for an ethical one, change your eletricity provider for one that offers clean energy, reduce your meat intake and choose quality (free range) over quantity, refuse to buy packaged foods, make sure you don't support deforestation (palm oil everyone) and always keep your eyes open to let your voice be heard in your everyday choices.

So strange that a massive football event is making me rethink all of this
I just needed to let this one go...